Looks pretty cool, doesn't it? My winner thought so as well. Final size was to be somewhere around 14" square which means roughly 3" blocks.
Think about that for a minute.
Do you see the dilemma I failed to realize until I started printing the foundation pattern for the fans?
3" is teeny-tiny, my friends! I tried, I did but it wasn't just awful looking, it was like I had never sewed a stitch at all in my life then decided to try paperpiecing AND curves all at once.
Awful. So awful I couldn't share a picture and I knew there was no way I could create the lovely design. I got another bright idea so off I went... just random piecing.
I always said I'd never make a crazy quilt because I just didn't like the look with all the random piecing. Until I actually looked at the following, I didn't realize what I just did. -sigh- I disliked it, and yet didn't, almost immediately.
Instead, I opted for a bargello with appliqued flowers. I like the look, I hope my winner does as well.
Just goes to show, third time is the charm.