Saturday, January 29, 2011

Mug Rug Swap

I have finished my mug rugs (first ones ever made) for my partner in the swap over at Quilting Bloggers.  This first one is my practice one and I'm glad I did the practice.

On this one I had the binding seam connecting on the short side and it didn't leave me much room to work. Learned lesson one, put the bidning seam on the long side.  Learned lesson two, I still suck at quilting on my domestic machine. I cannot get speed right. I'm too impatient to go slow but break needles when I try to move fast. I think I find a happy medium but then I can't move in a consistent manner and my stitch sizes are different. I'll take my mid-arm for quilting any day.  Finally, lesson learned number three, I cannot machine bind, no matter my pinning or care, and have the sew lines match up on both sides. If you click on an image, you will lines just inside the binding on some sides. That's just the way it is. I hope my partner doesn't mind. The one that is really noticeable I left because I thought it actually looked kind of neat in the overall quilting.  

Anyway, DD says she likes this one so its hers.


The next two are for my swap partner and are front and back shots. Not perfect but I like them. My swap partner said she liked bright colors and not dusty mauve or blue. Not the calico hues, basically.  So, I went with playfully bright and hopefully 4 different schemes (being 2-sided) that would give her an option no matter her mood.




Cheers! Beck

6 comments:

Marg said...

They are all great, I love the bright colours. I think it's fabulous that you a) went in a mug rug swap, and b) tried machine sewing the binding. I have never tried machine binding, with my track record I would be unpicking the whole thing. I haven't tried making a mug rug either and I'm never going to go in a swap as I would stress so much I would have a nervous breakdown.

Shay said...

I love that theyre so colourful. The orange one with the triangle dots is my favourite!

When I make mug rugs I always cheat and do flip and sew...no binding needed!

Barb said...

Your mug rugs turned out wonderfully!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Your mug rugs are beautiful. Your partner should be very happy to receive them!

Kirsten's Cooking said...

you quilting girls are so clever!

I don't think food bloggers could partner up - would we send devil soup in the mail? :)

good job - love the colors!

Regina said...

Those are so pretty. I really like the way you quilted the blue/orange one. I'm going to have to remember that.