Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Filet w/Mushroom Sauce recipe & Weigh-In Weds.

Okay, I decided that when I do Weigh-In Weds., I should also post a recipe that I liked and tried during the week. Something on the healthier side.  I figured you should be "rewarded" for my "confessions."

First off, 1 lb. lost. It'd probably be more but, well, I suck. lol
1) I worked Jillian's Shred 3x in the last week, walked one day, slacked the rest.  I was very tired from Jillian this time around, not sore. Just exhausted.
2) I won't give you a complete run-down of my eating but I will say a couple fast food meals made their way in as well as some soft serve ice cream with sprinkles a couple times last week.  This was tempered, however, with my eating better at least 50% of the week.
3) I know that if I eat better 100% of the time and actually exercise everyday, (one day, Sunday, I will not workout with Jillian but I will walk in my fields), I will post a higher loss next week. 
4) I also know that I'm okay with last week's results. All things considered, I feel better already and I was able to work with Jillian this morning and not want to collapse. Most importantly, I only cursed her one time the whole 20 minutes! THAT is CHANGE, people.

Overall, go me. A slow start and I can do better so I will.

Second up, the recipe.  I was planning on having this for mother's day but the hubs made his version. I do not want to know what was in his, it was too good, too rich, too lovely for me to ask or worry. However, I have made this before and it's quite good and lovely all on it's own (especially if you can use fresh instead of canned mushrooms).

FILET WITH MUSHROOM SAUCE
NOTE: This recipe was adapted from a recipe on Weight Watchers.com from kitchen of ABOOMGAARDEN

1 clove garlic, minched
black pepper
salt
1/8 cup shallot (I used 1/3 of medium vidalia onion), diced
2 Tbsp cornstarch (I was out & had to use flour)
2 Tbsp water
16 oz canned mushrooms, drained & sliced (originally called for fresh but canned worked fine)
1/2 cup dry white wine (originally called for sherry - red wine might work better, I just didn't feel like opening any)
8 oz sodium free beef broth
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
4 oz filet tenderloin, trimmed

Directions:
- Melt 1/2 butter in large skillet, season both sides of filet with salt and pepper.
- Add filets to skillet and cook 3.5 minutes on each side (or to the desired level of done). Remove from pan but keep warm.
- In same pan, melt remaining butter. Saute onion, mushrooms, and garlic for approximately 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add wine and beef broth, and a touch more salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, mix together water and cornstarch until smooth. Increase heat and add to the pan, stirring constantly to a boil. Once the mixture thickens, serve over the heated filets.
 
Serve with fresh steamed vegetables and enjoy!
 
Cheers!
Beck

6 comments:

Quiet Quilter said...

See, I told you I would help....I took that pound you lost and found it a home so it wouldn't come back. I gained...but I am still in there kicking and exercising...sort of.

Like your recipe...I love mushrooms!

Barb said...

You are so honest, I love it...I actually have been doing horrible....(hanging my head in shame)

thea said...

I think you can be proud of yourself that not only did you not gain any weight, you lost some. It's not much, but much better than a gain!

Shay said...

I'm too scared to step on my scales...

Ok I just sucked it up and did it and Im taking off 20 pounds for not being naked and the two cups of coffee I just drank.

Im heartened to hear you only cursed Jillian once. That IS progress.

A pound is still good. You're more likely to keep it off if you lose it slowly anyway.

(Soft serve icecream is so fluffy - surely it cant count for much ?)

Mrs A said...

Good on ya! This recipe sounds great, you could try using olive or grape seed oil instead of butter, its better for you, then you can add a bit of cream to the sauce instead and leave out the cornstarch, which is what we usually do, its yum!

Anonymous said...

Gonna be trying this tonight with a Sirloin! Just gonna use a cast iron skillet!!!! Of course I need to cook husband's separately because he doesnt like mushrooms. Oh well.