Sunday, April 19, 2009

My favorite quilt - Virtual Quilt Festival

I'm joining the Virtual Quilt Festival hosted by Amy over at Park City Girl. A fabulous idea and I've spent hours so far this weekend browsing favorite quilts and the stories behind them. I had a difficult time choosing but this is mine.
"J's Quilt"



The short version is, this was a spur of the moment, complete in one afternoon, quilt and was born of the vision of a 9 yr-old child and his mother. J sewed and I cut and ironed, we both crawled around the floor (my design wall) laying strip blocks this way and that.
Because it was worked on together, hand-in-hand and becuase J must have it on his bed every night before sleeping or tucked around his legs if watching some movie, I know it's loved. Creating the quilt created a memory together and for that (and because it's so loved), this is my favorite quilt.

18 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

Lovely quilt. And the little one holding it is really cute too.

Roslyn said...

The quilts with the memories are always the best!

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

I love quilts with special meanings behind them.

Staci K. said...

Great story - and very fun quilt!

Jocelyn said...

What a very sweet story. The quilt is so bright and cheery. A nice thing for a boy to love. My boy still sleeps with the dinosaur quilt I made for him 12 years ago. He has grown so tall, and asked for another quilt. What fabric I asked? Dinosaur! He is in his teens now, but I will make him another dino quilt. Thanks for sharing.

Carol said...

J's got talent :) Love the layout.

Cindy's Stitching said...

You can tell he loves the quilt, and who wouldn't with those great colors

Miri said...

I love this quilt...the basket weave look and the back is great too but the story of you and J making together is the best!

When my son was 5, I was working on a 9-patch charm quilt and he helped me. He had his bag of fabric squares to arrange, etc. He claimed the finished quilt and it is on his bed and has been for 16 years! :)

Fresh Poppy Design said...

Super cute!

Janet said...

Great quilt! More than anything, you were making some great memories for your little boy! But that is what this is all about!

Browndirtcottage said...

Ohhh..cute quilt...CUTE boy!!!

meggie said...

Cute quilt, with cute owner/designer! Wonderfulxx

stitchinpenny said...

That is one [roud young man and he has a right. The quilt is wonderful.

Anonymous said...

This is so bright and beautiful....and what a wonderful story....Great work.

The Rustic Quilter said...

ahh...what a lovely story, and lovely quilt. I'm sure he'll cherish the quilt forever.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I had a difficult time choosing a favorite too - but you are right, it is a lot more to do with the memories associated with a quilt than how it looks. This one looks great.

Philippa said...

There is nothing so satisfying as making a quilt with your child that is loved and well used. I can easily see why its your favourite. Thanks for visiting my quilt. Glad you liked it.

Live a Colorful Life said...

Love the story. I can't wait to start sewing with my granddaughter, making our own memories.