Thursday, March 25, 2010

Receipe: Salmon w/ Champagne orange cream sauce

I took a page from Pioneer Woman and documented the process through the recipe.
Here we go, the ingredients.
1/4 vidalia onion
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 cup champagne (brut)
1 cup buttermilk (I used milk once too, it was okay to substitute)
1/2 can mandarin oranges with some of the syrup
4, 4-oz salmon filets (not pictured)

1 tsp nutmeg
1-2 Tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
1 -2 Tbsp cajun seasoning (how much heat do you like? Add more or less as you desire)
1 tsp sea salt













Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
1) heat pan, add olive oil and onions and saute to desired doneness. Key is soft and slightly transulcent onions, not browned or burned onions. Saute at a lower heat if you see them getting too dark.



2) add butter, let melt and add flour. mix flour well into butter and cook for a minute or two.

3) add champagne then about a minute later add the buttermilk. Reduce heat and stir occasionally cooking out alcohol and thickening the sauce. About 5-10 minutes dependig on heat level.
4) Add salt, cajun seasoning, nutmeg, stir in and simmer for 1-2 min. more.

5) Add approx. 1/2 can mandarin oranges, using some juice as well.

6) about 5 min. more, or cooked until desired thickness ( I like the consistancy of a thin cream soup), add basil.

7) spray a baking dish with butter spray to avoid salmon sticking. Place the salmon in the dish (I only had 2 so I saved 1/2 the sauce for another day and for some haddock I have. I will try it within the week but I think it will be good, too.)
cover with the sauce
then cover dish with foil. Bake 15-20 min. at 425 degrees. Salmon is done when it flakes easily.

Serve over brown rice with a veggie of your choice on the side. There's a touch of heat in this dish so plan the side accordingly. I initially planned a warm spinach with golden raisins and pine nuts but decided to eat some broccoli slaw in my fridge instead.


Hope you enjoy, cheers!  Beck

2 comments:

Shay said...

Have to tell you I just got a kick from looking at American groceries. Slap ya Mama Chilli! Buttermilk! Broccoli Slaw!

I love fish...I've filed this away in my "I must make this" file. which means I'll have to go and buy some fish.

Bridget B said...

Sounds good to me-will try it soon.