Saturday, January 17, 2015

Michael Miller MQG Fabric Challenge

Last year I made several minis and used those opportunities to stretch my creative wings.  It was not easy and often I found myself coming up with an idea which then proved quite difficult to execute.  I have a half finished mini sitting in my sewing room for that very reason. I will finish it one day but suffice it to say, it reminded me to consider my skill in these bright ideas, too.

One mini I DID finish however was the one for the Modern Quilt Guild Fabric Challenge (see winners here).  Using the Petal Pinwheels line of fabric from Michael Miller and some solids from my stash,
I drafted a mini quilt design which I felt had a modern feel and highlighted the fabric.  After printing it, I modified the design just a little further.
Then I got to sewing.  I love foundation piecing and that is the technique I used.


I pieced the binding and the back with leftover bits of fabric.
I kept the quilting simple because I felt there was no need for anything more, the mini was busy enough and the fabrics were what needed to show.
I love how this came out.  I am hoping that this year, I can try this pattern with some other fabrics and if it works again, who knows? Maybe I'll share the pattern with you all (of course, that might require more organization than I actually have.)

Cheers!
Beck

3 comments:

Monica at Buttoncounter said...

I have not seen this yet! Amazing amount of piecing. It looks native American to me, so I absolutely love it.

Julianne said...

Its AWESOME! I love it!!

Caroline said...

Love the pattern and the fabrics you chose are perfect. Love your creativity!!