Saturday, January 24, 2009

One pineapple block complete!

And only 29 more to go! lol Doesn't sound like a lot, right? It isn't actually but when you struggle with trying to remember accurate paper piecing on a 15" block, it takes a LONG time. Really long. Say, 3 days long.

Pick block up, set it down, sew one piece, walk away, figure out how to cut long strip off and sew next piece, walk back and sit down, sew another strip, forget what I just did, get up and ponder all over again.

THAT was my routine for three days. For a 15" block. Truly.

However, once I got to piece 30, I was making better progress and went straight from 30 to piece 52 without needing to get up. So really, it took me 3 days to figure out how to get 30 pieces together and only 1 hour to do the last 22.

Sad, isn't it?

My mother joked and told me it all starts going down hill on my 35th birthday this past month but really, my memory? Nah, forget that, I'm choosing to say it is because the alternative is to say I never had much retention capabilities in the first place!

Alright, back on topic. So this got me thinking, how can I make life easier on myself. I really enjoy paper piecing once I get going, it might be my favorite technique so far but getting started after a hiatus just stinks.

I am thinking I'll write the how-to down somewhere. But, if I go through that trouble, it better be where I can find it easily. Well, that would be here and, it might just be a nice little helpful tool for anyone else who wonders along and reads. Today, I will piece another block, or two, and add a tutorial this weekend unless something goes horribly wrong in which case, you will have a how NOT to screw up paper piecing tutorial!

4 comments:

Cioara Andrei said...

Foarte interesant ce ai postat.M-am uitat pe blogul tau si imi place ce am vazut chiar e frumos si interesant.Felicitari si sigur am sa mai revin!

StitchinByTheLake said...

I would really love to see a tutorial on this. I love the pineapple block but it just looks so difficult I've never tackled it. blessings, marlene

Sarcastic Quilter said...

Cioara,
I just translated your text from Romanian (I assume) to English and want to say, thank you. I hope I stay interesting enough for your enjoyment!

Sarcastic Quilter said...

Cioara,
Vă mulţumesc pentru comentarii. Sper să rămână destul de interesant, pentru a vă entertained! De sarcastic Quilter (aka Becky)