Monday, January 31, 2011

Monochromatic challenge - yellow

I was going to do the number 4 for this block but decided 5 stars deserved the yellow color.  As a reminder, this is the monthly monochromatic challenge held by Judy at Patchwork Times. Many are doing quilts and since I'm trying to complete UFOs instead of add to them, I determined 1 block each month for a small toddler quilt.

That said, I am not a fan of my work on this block but it's not horrible. I know my errors and will fix them next time. For instance, if you are working with Steam-a-Seam, be sure to reverse the pattern on the fabric or you waste the fabric. Instead, I added 2 layers of satin (the "5") and spray basted it down to sew.  There's another lesson. Spray baste + Satin (okay, fake satin) = FAILURE.  Yep, had to pin the sucker instead and then pray I wouldn't have pin holes.  Luckily, no pin holes.

Finally, this would have looked a lot better if I used a darker yellow as the background and the lighter fabrics for the applique.  I will do this right for the rest of the blocks.I can say that I do like using the minkee fabric (hard to see it's minkee) as the large star. I like different textures for toddler quilts.  I may or may not re-do this one at the end but for now, this is the first finished block.
Eleven more months of blocks to go plus 4 "filler" blocks for my design and the quilt will be done.  Maybe it will make for a nice donation to a children's hospital.  Here's hoping.

Happy Monday Everyone!
Beck

12 comments:

Barb said...

Is that the satin stitch? It seems that every quilt is a learning process for me...I guess it is okay as long as we keep learning .... looks good.

Shay said...

I think it's cute. I also think it's probably a block that wont look spectacular until it's up against some of the other blocks you're going to make for this quilt.

I'll be appliqueing some weird shapes at some point onto a quilt and may come to you for more advice !

Kate said...

Cute block. It's nice and sunny. It will look great in a children's quilt.

Melinda said...

What a wonderful idea. The final quilt will be adorable AND colorful.

Alycia said...

I think it is cute. And a great idea for a quilt!!

Jamie Janow Elfert said...

That is a great idea to make a block each month -- your block is darling so I know the finished quilt will be perfect.

Tizzie said...

You have a great idea for a block a month! I love the way everyone has thought so differently about this challenge....

mary said...

great idea to do a block a month and this one is so cute A child will love to fell the stars

Becca Quilts said...

What a cute idea to make blocks instead of quilts and have a child's counting quilt at the end. Look's great!

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

If it is a toddlers quilt they won't know the difference and you can use it as a way to perfect your skills for the adult quilts you make in the future.

Marg said...

I think it's cute too, and it's a brilliant idea for a toddlers quilt. Looking forward to seeing a new block each month.
I need to get to it and do a post on my block that I finished for this challenge.

Kirsten's Cooking said...

great idea to donate to a children's hospital!