Tuesday, May 10, 2011

PP QAL - week 7, borders

Alright ladies, everyone should have put their blocks together.
Now please add the borders you should already have cut. Add shorter sides first and then longer sides. Hopefully, I've had you cut enough "extra" length that this will be a comfortable endeavor.
Please post all completed tops by Tuesday, May 17 in our Flickr group to be eligble to win the prize for participants! (It doesn't matter what size you ended up making so yes, there's time if someone wants to join with a table topper.)
I have a question for you all, now.  Here's my top, without needing to undo the borders, how do I fix the rumply borders? This is the first time it's ever happened to me that my borders are ruffly looking and oddly enough, this is the first quilt that was truly squared up when I added the borders.  It's very odd to me.  Any suggestions besides just take care when quilting? I was thinking about adding another dk blue border but I'm afraid it won't help but will make it worse.  Anyone have anything for me?  I so hate unstitiching...
Cheers! Beck

5 comments:

Shay said...

The good news is that it can be fixed.The bad news is it's going to take a seam ripper...if you add a second border it WILL get worse.

Maybe you can quilt it out....

Barb said...

You are right, a second border will just make it worse. Is it the fabric? did you measure across the middle from side to side and then from the top to bottom through the middle, then cut your respective borders to match the measurements you took? By saying this, I am by no means an expert or know it all....I am like you just having fun and learning at the same time.

Karen said...

Are your borders cut on the true straight of grain? In the past I've discovered that if my borders have too much stretch to them I get wavy edges. Love the colors of your quilt. Good luck!

Myra said...

Hey Becky! Love your quilt-along creation! It turned out awesome! Love the pattern it creates!!
Your videos are great! You've done a wonderful job!!

I've printed out the paper-piece pattern for future use, as I'm getting my PhDs done right now! 8-)

Happy stitchings!

Mrs A said...

Love your pattern and colours! it does look as if the fabric has stretched, perhaps the grain? Its a bugger, but prob you will have to redo it :( but you will be happier once its fixed!