Saturday, March 15, 2014

Fabric Boxes

This past week I had a sew day at the house, in part, because I had a quilty friend stop by and stay with me while she was in town.  I wanted to give a little gift to those who were able to stop by (it was selfish, really, I participated in a Kokka 10" square swap a couple years ago but I had no idea what to do with the fabric and I wanted to use it up).

I had made a fabric box a while back using this tutorial from Seaside Stitches.  I had chosen the 10" square fabric size and the box is a great size for me to hold sewn leaders & enders as I complete them and I realized that this would be a great use of the fabrics and a cute gift.  It would be a great thread catcher.

With the aid of Karie (my guest) of Two Kwik Quilters (IG: @karitkq), I sewed up several boxes with a slight variation. I made them taller, which allows them to act as a tool holder. The tutorial calls for a diagonal to be sewn using a 2" measurement for a square box but if you use a 2.5" measurement, you will get the taller box.
I also want to share a quick weekend quilt top finish. Karie gifted me with her pattern Kwik Trio of Stars and we had fun pulling fabric for the project her last night here.  After she left, it only took me a few hours to stitch this up.  I left off one additional white border (personal preference for the finished look, and no other reason). I plan to donate this to a quilt drive held in the Spring (more on that another day). Isn't this darling?
I'm in love with these little boxes and the quilt top so I am sharing them with the very new "SewJo Saturday" linky party being held by Kim on over at My Go-Go Life.  Take a look at all the great and fun projects linked up over there!

Cheers!
Beck


8 comments:

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

I haven't made these boxes for a while, and have a whole bunch of layer cake fabrics, thanks for the suggestion! Love the quilt too

cheeky monkey said...

Those boxes are so gorgeous. We used them for a Christmas-Boxes-Swap and I love mine

Go-Go Kim said...

Becky, I LOVE my little robot box! It is perfect for pins when I am sewing, thank you so much! And HOW did you already sew that quilt top together...you are a WILD WOMAN!!!!

Love ya and thank you for linking up to SEWjo SAturday!

Shay said...

Handy little fabric hold alls...and darn cute to boot.

Liking the new flimsy very much ...and it only took a few hours? Great for giveaway quilts and huge visual impact ! It’s look great done in any fabric.

Vera said...

Nice projects. Pretty happy colors on your quilt top.

amylouwhosews said...

Looks awesome and I love my little tool holder! I linked up too - blogged about you guys and the dresden :)

Gari in AL said...

Love the boxes: saved the tutorial. This may just be the beginning of my Christmas sewing. Yea!!

dq said...

I love all of your projects. The red, yellow, and blue quilt is delightful.